Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Three C's: Cicadas, Crafts, & Celebrations

Good morning!

I'm surprised I am in such a chipper mood, as my yard has been inundated with CICADAS.  These bugs come out every 17 years, and let me tell you, my mother has been dreading them for 17 years.  My lovely backyard is full of many trees, very nice in the summer, but not so nice when the cicadas live under them for years, and emerge and cling to them.  They are very big bugs and after a week or so they will start to fly in order to find their mates.  We have been doing a lot of research, and scientists really cannot find any solutions for these bugs.  My sister is a senior in high school, so with proms and graduation coming up, our lives are getting a little bit more difficult.

But more about the reason for my post!  Today is my best friend Christina's 21st birthday!  Christina and I have been friends since we met in pre-school, and we have been celebrating our birthdays together ever since.  We have gone to the same pre-school, elementary school, high school, and we even attend the same college.  Christina will actually be doing research this summer so she won't be home.  It's the first summer we'll be apart!  I wanted to celebrate her big birthday and I am also very crafty, so I decided to make a special basket for her!


I used styrofoam as the base in a large clear bucket and used rods with small alcohol nips to stick into the styrofoam.  I included a large shot glass, and mini bottle of champagne.  I also made a book with pictures from every since birthday we've celebrated together (all 18!).  I did recruit her mom for a little help when I couldn't find some pictures from certain years.  She absolutely loved the book and basket as a whole!  I also included a special 21 birthday crown, because who doesn't want to be a princess on their birthday!?  Since I'm not 21 yet I could not celebrate with her last night when she turned 21, but we will be celebrating another night this week.

Now today I get to see my little sister all dressed up for her boyfriend's prom!  I can't believe my little baby is so grown up and going to a senior prom already!  It feels like yesterday we drove to school on my first day of senior year and her first day of freshman year.  Time does fly by!  I know she will look absolutely GORGEOUS tonight :)

xoxo,
Brown Eyed Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment