Thursday, June 6, 2013

Reflecting

So this morning I was watching Kelly and Michael, as per usual, and for some reason it really made an impact on my thinking.  I think it would be so cool to work on a TV show like Kelly and Michael.  Sometimes it makes me regret giving up my passion for journalism that I had when I started college.  I switched concentrations because I did not think I was a strong enough writer and that it would be too much of a competitive field for me.  I never really liked writing which also made me nervous, but three years later, I realize that I am a much stronger writer than I was then.  This is all thanks to taking time to write for my blog, and perfecting papers I had due for school.  Also, a lot of people I have known make fun of Communication and say it is a joke of a major.  I have gotten in fights with people because of this and personally take offense to it.  It makes me upset when people undermine a major which I personally enjoy.  And I won't say its easy!  I've had to struggle to do well in some of my classes.  Sometimes I'm even ashamed to say what my major is.  Ashamed!?  There is no reason for this at all.  I am PROUD to be a Communication major with a specialization in Public Relations.

Actress Beth Behrs was on the show this morning, and she was talking about how she did voice overs for Monsters U, the prequel to Monsters Inc.  I think it would be SO cool to do voice overs for a movie or show, and have had a lot of fun doing voice overs for a Greek Week skit for my sorority.  When I am thinking of my career, I always focus on time. I don't want to waste any of it but still make the best decisions possible.  I have had two internships so far; one which was amazing and one which I wasn't the biggest fan of.  This has made me worry that I don't want to waste my time doing another internship if it won't do anything for my future.  But I came to a conclusion: time is so important, but I'm focusing on it the wrong way.

For the past year I have been convinced that I want to pursue a career in advertising after the internship I held last summer at a big advertising agency in NYC.  It was one of the best experiences I've had and I would be privileged to work at that agency in the future.  However, do I really know that this is what I want to do in the future?  No.  I am 20 (going on 21 in less than 2 months), and I don't have to be certain of what I want to do.  I have taken classes in a wide range of my Communication major and have enjoyed a lot of them.  Today I finally realized that it is okay if I don't 100% know what I want to do.  I have changed my previous outlook on time.  Yes "time is of the essence",  but I should be living life in the time I am in.  I should be taking advantage of each moment I have and do things that make me happy, and maybe one day, this would lead me to finding the career that I truly am passionate about.

I love to sing and dance, and would do anything to perform on stage for a living.  I am very creative, and am filled with joy when I look at my own completed crafts.  I love making movies and videos, editing the music and film until it blends just right.  I think its cool to be the liaison between a company, the media, and the public.

Yes I may be going into my senior year of college, but its just that, I have one more year.  One more year to make everything count.  To go the extra mile and think outside the box.  Look at more than what I'm used to and think of something different.  I am making it my goal as of today, Thursday June 6th, to stop being hard on myself because of my major and be proud of my choices and my accomplishments.  I, Nicole Rose Puccio, will be successful  and do not need anyone to tell me otherwise.

Thanks bloggers, for making me realize what I have had within myself and what I truly am capable of.  If it wasn't for this blog, I don't think I would've had any other way of seeing this for myself and sharing it with others.

Xoxo,
Brown Eyed Girl

2 comments:

  1. Definitely do not be ashamed of what you enjoy! It seems you have accomplished a lot. I too worry if I am 100% sure of what I want to do. Some advice that I received that was helpful is that nothing is permanent. It is never too late to do what you love. Just take it 1 day at a time and know everything will fall into place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim!! That's great advice :)

    ReplyDelete